Sunday, March 10, 2013

Music Geek

Let me be honest up front, I am being very pretentious even thinking about writing a blog post about Music Geekery. I am not a Music Geek. There are so many people in this world that far outstrip me when it comes to knowing lyrics, titles, or even band members. I do not even play a musical instrument. However, I do have one thing in common with all other Music Geeks and people in general; I love music. 



Music has always been present in my life. When I was little I remember my parents playing mostly folk rock and what is now known as classic rock. I also spent a lot of time with my grandparents. Through them I grew an appreciation of classical music. But back then it was all just background noise.

When I was twelve I met my stepbrothers and they introduced me to country. Don’t judge me, I was young and impressionable. I did save myself and found my way into Top 40 and Rock. There was even a time I flirted with 50’s and 60’s rock. There was something pure about the music of those decades. 



When I really got into music my first cassette tape I bought was Rick Springfield, “Living in Oz.” My next tape was “Beverly Hills Cop” soundtrack. This was also a time when the Walkman became hugely popular. In case any of you are wondering, the Walkman is the granddaddy to today’s mp3 players. Having a Walkman on really was like having a soundtrack for your life. 


Yes, I did listen to a lot of what was popular, but what was really important to me was finding music that made me move. I listened to Pink Floyd when I was in a funk. Oingo Boingo, Pointer Sisters, and M.A.R.S. were great for dancing. Sigue Sigue Sputnik and Dead or Alive were also great for dancing and when I felt freaky. Then there was Bon Jovi, Slaughter, and Poison when I wanted to move fast and work hard. I became a junkie about finding music that moved me, got the adrenaline pumping, and made me excited. 


I still have my old cassette tapes and listen to a few of them once in a while in my truck. My six year old son tends to play DJ and choose what tape we listen to. I have hundreds of CDs and I have made dozens of mix tapes and mix CDs all in the pursuit of finding that perfect personal soundtrack to my life. The thing I found is life keeps changing, so my personal soundtrack had to keep changing and therefore the perfect mix was as elusive as a unicorn.

I don’t know who created the mp3 playlist, but that was a person who was a mix tape junkie, always looking to create the perfect list. It is so easy now to swap out songs and tweak your soundtrack. I have a few different playlists. I have a playlist for my wife and each of my sons. They are songs that remind me of them. I then have a playlist for when I want to be mellow. The playlist I listen to most often is titled “Inspiration.” This is full of songs that motivate me. I’m a guy that deals with confidence and motivation issues. These songs help me to overcome bad days and to keep moving.

Let me leave you with a list of songs from my Inspiration Playlist

Hall of Fame – The Script / Will.i.am

Some Nights – Fun.

Rise Today – Alter Bridge

Strip Me – Natasha Bedingfield

I Stand Alone – Godsmack

Uprising – Muse

Sing – My Chemical Romance 


Powerless – Nelly Furtado

I Don’t Wanna Stop – Ozzy Osbourne

Princes of the Universe – Queen

F**kin’ Perfect – Pink

Dare – Stan Bush 


I Dare You to Move – Switchfoot

Anthem for the Underdog – 12 Stones 


The Champion in Me – Three Doors Down 


It’s Not My Time – Three Doors Down

Vindicated – Dashboard Confession

Closer to Free – BoDeans

Because We Can – Bon Jovi


Thanks To:
      Music of Sunrise by Karinu Chan @ deviantart.com   
      Mix Tape Affect by Crayon Chewer @ deviantart.com   
      Thank You for the Music by Anachusunamon @ deviantart.com   

No comments:

Post a Comment