Thursday, November 20, 2014

Why So Much Hatred?



In my blog I like to talk about Anime, Manga, Movies, Books, Video Games, and Geek life in general. Today I’d like to take a left turn and talk about something that has been bothering me for some time. Why is there so much hatred?
I’m not talking about all the wars and the killing that happens on a global level. I’m talking about our country, The U.S.A. We tote so much pride in our freedoms and justice and equal rights, yet we continue to act out with our prejudices.
Our government is tearing itself apart because Democrats and Republicans can’t work together long enough to pass any laws. To be honest there is so much corruption and self interest in our government, the lack of bi-partisanship is the least of the worries.
Ferguson, Missouri is about to explode with race riots. I’m not supporting the officer who shot Michael Brown. But, you have to ask yourself is destroying property going to help anything? The only thing that is going to happen is people on both sides are going to be hurt, maybe even killed. None of the violence is going to fix the problem.
States are still passing laws to make it constitutional to refuse service to LGBT people. What does it matter if there is an LGBT person in your store? The store is not going to go out of business. Why does it matter if there is an LGBT couple living in your neighborhood? Your home values aren’t going to go down. If you are worried that your family values are going to be corrupted, then I suggest your family values were weak to be attacked so easily.
What are we teaching our children? When we were children did we not learn from the previous generations about their hatred and bigotry? Did we not see the destruction and pain that was caused during the race riots of the 50s and 60s? Did we not learn in school how our country tore itself apart in a civil war because of hatred and bigotry?
As a lone individual I vote in the hopes our government will work itself out. I treat other people as I hope they will treat me. I watch and I see that we have the opportunities to make great things happen, if we were just to work together. Then again I also see that we are destroying everything that has made this country great.
It doesn’t matter what your background or belief system is, at some point in each of our lives we were taught to be good to each other. We have forgotten that.
Just a simple suggestion, treat everyone you meet the way you would like to be treated. I’m sure you like respect and kindness given to you. If we all gave each other respect and kindness maybe this wouldn’t be such a big scary world.

No comments:

Post a Comment