Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas Geek

It is an amazing feeling when your refined geek tastes are recognized and appreciated. I’ve always loved the gifts I have received and I am thankful for the show of love, but it means so much more when you are given a gift that says, “You are a geek and we love you for it.”

Let’s be honest, shopping for us geeks is not easy. We write down websites and draw directions to stores, so our loved ones can get that limited edition Vash the Stampede statue We give PowerPoint presentations to explain how important that collector’s metal box edition of Gurren Lagan is. In desperation we plead for gift cards, so we can buy the volumes of Gunslinger Girl that we don’t have. In the end we smile and happily say thank you when given the hottest new video and some sleeper pants.
I know that sounds horribly ungrateful. I do not mean to. It’s just that this Christmas meant so much when my sister-in-law gave me a Lego minifigure of Admiral Akbar. She paid $5.00 for it. She told me how she tried to grab the last Darth Maul minifigure for $20.00, but someone beat her to it.
It says how much my wife loves me when she tells me of her E-Bay adventures to outbid someone for a Lego Death Star, but almost broke the bank. It stills means so much to me when I received a Stormtrooper Nutcracker and a smaller version Lego Star Destoyer.
It makes me feel really good when my family lets me hang my Star Trek Communicator ornament on the tree, for all to see. It does not really fit with the silver and gold balls and shinning Christmas ornaments. It does fit with who I am and my family is happy to let me show off my geekery.

It’s the same for everyone, no matter what the interests. It makes the receiver of the gift feel really special when they are given a gift that defines them. It’s easy to get your dad a Raider’s sweatshirt. Your sister always loves it when you get her a new season of Grey’s Anatomy. For a geek it means a bit more when they receive a special geek gift, because it is hard to find things for us geeks. If you are a geek, I hope your geekdom was recognized this holiday season. If you are a friend of family of a geek, I hope you showed how much you love their geekness.

So, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Geeking to all.


Thanks to:
            "I Wuv Stuffed Animals" by Indui @ deviantart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment