Friday, September 19, 2014

Space Geek



Space, the final frontier… Sorry. I had to get that out of my system. I grew up with Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, and the syndication of Star Trek. This had sparked a great desire in me to adventure across space. I didn’t have to be Captain Kirk. I would have been happy enough with living and working in space or on another planet. 

My dreams were dashed in April of 1981, when the first space shuttle was launched. It was then I discovered there were no plans for deep space exploration or even a moonbase. However, books and movies about space kept my interest and imagination adventuring across space.
 Today there is an argument that space exploration should not be a priority considering all the problems we have on our planet. The poverty and violence alone are reasons enough we should not make space exploration a priority.
Here is a sad truth. At every single point of time on Earth there has always been war and poverty. It has never gone away. Whether we explore space or not there will probably be poverty and war.

There is however the possibility that Star Trek got it right and
space exploration could end war and poverty. Here’s is an interesting historical fact. The U.S. was tearing itself apart during the 60s because of the war in Vietnam and the Civil Rights Movement. Yet, when we put a man on the moon the U.S. came together. The people rallied around a common ground.

Another historical fact of that time the space program and Star Trek both had an impact on the kids. A lot of those kids grew up to become engineers and scientists. Those engineers and scientists have brought us a lot of innovations such as computers, communications, and continued improvement of energy sources. 

Today I do not think one country or government can do the exploration of space all on their own. It is going to take a joint effort of several countries together. I also believe that it will take the efforts of businesses to forward any kind of exploration that is done. If different countries work together just maybe they will put aside their differences and put down their weapons. If corporations started working on space exploration that could lead to new innovations, which will create jobs. That would go a long way to fight poverty.

It seems to me that we have lost our wonderment and need to explore anything, not just space. I hope for a future where my kids and their kids will look to the skies with a new sense wonder. I hope they will then dare to explore those places that we only dream of now.
Thanks To:
Enterprise ~Jay Prower
Space Shuttle/Launch Pod ~ SuperLautir
The 60s ~xasterix
Future Flight 1 ~ wayfarer95
Space ~ cberg

No comments:

Post a Comment